To be a scout you have to be a child. Even the instructors must have leftovers from earlier years, though not because, to act like 12 year-olds and dance indolently in public places. It is all about UNDERSTANDING.
Maybe you're still at school. if not, then remember it- 45 minutes of the lesson, 10 minutes of break and you are sitting on the bench again listening to the lecture. I will not elaborate on our education system, because that's not my role. But the conclusion is certainly very clear
Children have little exercise
The same problem always arises when working with substitutes and young teams, wyrażany w krótkim zdaniu “Harcerze na zbiórce nie słuchają”. When visiting the teams, I also hear the sentence "I am preparing a fundraiser for you and how you repay me?!”.
So let's start from the beginning.
Przy okazji zapraszam również do wcześniejszego artykułu Dobra zbiórka krok po kroku.
The scouting assembly is not a school lesson
Seemingly so obvious, but in practice it is different. Po wielu godzinach spędzonych w ławce i słuchania wykładów na tematy pozornie nieprzydatne w życiu codziennym, nasi harcerze chcą przygody. They want to discover, play, experience, have a good time. It is difficult to achieve this only by listening to what the staff has to say. Because, especially among scouts, there is no room for a lecture. This form is not obsolete- is abused. That is why I appeal to all fundraisers
get the LECTURE work out of your head
Imagine it, that such a form does not exist. Then come up with a better one.
Teach while having fun
“But how am I supposed to make an interesting fundraiser about the history of the Polish Scouting Association, since these are just facts?"" Morse Alphabet cannot be made interesting- przecież najpierw muszę harcerzy wprowadzić w temat!”“ This symbolism can only be explained verbally!" MISTAKE.
So how to do, for scouts to learn with pleasure?
- "Wash" knowledge while playing. Po co zaczynamy zbiórkę od słów “dzisiaj dowiemy się” albo “nauczę was”. Organize a game that will not only introduce, but most of all it will lead to the acquisition of knowledge!
- Awaken your curiosity. Pewnie wiesz to po sobie- when you are curious about something, you are more likely to learn more about a given topic. The fundraiser must be like a good book- draws in at the beginning and makes, that we don't want it to end already. Great adventures always start with a secret.
- Experiment with forms of work. Don't be limited to puzzles with the Scout's Cross scattered around the school. Think wider.
- Let it move. Niech każdy ma prawo zmienić swoje miejsce. Let the collection require it! Or even better! Enter the rule, that after all 10 after the meeting minutes, everyone has to change to any place in the scout. And everyone gets to know each other better 😉
- Don't punish bad behavior, but work for good. System kar i nagród wciąż ewoluuje. I think, that someday I will write on this topic, however, I know from my experience, that rewards work better than punishments. A topic for a good instructor discussion.
I do not give ready-made solutions here on purpose, though I could. So I encourage you to discover, searching and experimenting, because isn't this what we are supposed to teach scouts? Let's make demands, but mostly from myself 🙂
"If you want to build a ship, don't call people, to collect wood, don't organize their work, but teach them to miss the endless ocean "
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry